A place for my creative thoughts and experiences

Friday, December 10, 2010

In the Beginning

I'm not exactly sure where this will go but I wanted to make a place online to post my on going artwork and creative experiments. I'll try and keep it updated as best I can.

As of this moment I am working with the Digital Sculpting tool Mudbox and have really taken a liking towards it. Lots of cool tutorial vids from Wayne Robson that show the awesome potential of this program. I have already used it for 2 portfolio pieces and am working on getting more efficient with tools and pipeline.

Here are two things I've created using Mudbox

Tree Stump
I took a base mesh from Mudbox and used sculpting tools and the paint tools to add texture and details. I created a normal map from the high poly mesh and added it to the lower poly version for in game use. Polycount for the tree stump reached 1.8 million for the high res model and the lower res 1800.



Bricked Vent
I wanted to see if I could create some type of wall detail using stenciled alphas of vents and brick material. I also experimented with masking out multiple sculpt layers to create some detail on the wall. I have also found that the power to paint specular and gloss right on the model with make for powerful combination later although I didn't get the best results but I'm getting my muscle memory for the tools so that's what counts right now. Final polycount for the Hi-Res version is 409,000 Polys and the Low-Res with baked normal map has 1600 Polys.


+ 3 Mudbox

No comments: